Netgear EX6130 – AC1200 WiFi Range Extender Setup
Netgear EX6130 increases the distance of a WiFi network by boosting the existing WiFi signal and enhancing the overall signal quality over long distances. An extender repeats the signals from an existing WiFi router or access point.
Meet Your Netgear EX6130
Before you install your extender, familiarize yourself with its LEDs, buttons, and port.
Router Link LED: This LED indicates the connection between the extender and the router or access point:
- Solid green – Best connection.
- Off – No connection.
- Solid amber – Good connection.
- Solid red – Poor connection.
When to Use Your Extender
We recommend that you connect through the extender network only when the WiFi device is in a “dead zone” where the connection from the existing network is poor or nonexistent. Data traffic routed through the extender is inherently slower than traffic routed directly from the
How the Extender Works
Netgear EX6130 works like a bridge between a WiFi router (or a WiFi access point) and a WiFi device outside the range of the WiFi router. The extender performs two main jobs:
- The extender connects to a working WiFi network. When the extender connects over WiFi to an existing network, it functions as a network client, similar to how a WiFi device connects to a network.
- The extender acts as an access point for WiFi devices. The extender broadcasts its own WiFi network that WiFi devices can join. In its role as an access point, the extender performs tasks that WiFi routers do, such as broadcasting its network name (SSID).
The extender must do each of these jobs so that both ends of the bridge are in place
Netgear EX6130 Setup Using WPS Push Button
To set up your Nighthawk WiFi Extender using WPS:
- Power on the extender.
- Place the extender and WiFi router in the same room.
- Once done, plug your extender into an electrical outlet.
- Wait for the Power LED on EX6130 to light green.
- Press the WPS button on the extender.
- Now, press the WPS button on your WiFi router.
- If the Netgear EX6130 Link Status LED lights white, the connection between your router and extender is good.
Note: If your router supports the 5 GHz band, your extender attempts to connect to the router’s 5 GHz band the first time you press the WPS button. If your extender did not connect to the router’s 5 GHz band the first time, it may result in a lot of issues during extender setup. To resolve such issues at the earliest, give us a call at toll-free 1-855-844-0144.
- Move your extender to a new location that is about halfway between your router and the area with a poor router WiFi signal.
- Take your WiFi-enabled computer or mobile device to the location with poor WiFi router coverage.
- Connect your WiFi-enabled computer or mobile device to the extended network. Your extender uses the same WiFi network settings as your router for its 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz extended networks.
That’s how you can complete your Netgear EX6130 Setup using WPS button. If you come across any type of technical issue during the setup process, feel free to contact the experts at 1-855-844-0144.
Troubleshooting Netgear EX6130 Setup Issues
Go through the below-mentioned troubleshooting steps to fix Netgear EX6130 setup issues:
- Make sure that the extender is receiving proper power supply from the wall outlet.
- Confirm that the wall plug in which the extender is plugged in is not damaged or short-circuited.
- Access high-speed internet connection on your device.
- Check all the wired connections. Do not use any damaged cable.
- Keep your extender away from walls, room corners, microwave ovens, fish tanks, cordless phones, Bluetooth devices, metal objects, aluminum studs, etc.
- If you are getting issues with mywifiext.net, be certain that you entered the correct URL in the address bar.
- Power-cycle your Netgear extender once and try to set it up again.
- Use only the latest version of web browser during mywifiext.net login.
- Update the latest Netgear firmware version on your extender.
- Reset the extender to its factory default settings.
Common Issues During Netgear EX6130 Setup
- Mywifiext.com doesn’t open
- Mywifiext.net not working
- Incorrect mywifiext password
- WiFi extender is connected but no internet
- Can’t connect to mywifiext.local
- WiFi extender is not connected to the network
- Netgear genie app doesn’t open
- Issues while accessing 192.168.1.250 IP address
- Can’t find Netgear range extender network name
- Netgear Extender not working
- Nighthawk EX6130 – no internet
- Netgear extender red light causing issues
- Unable to perform Netgear extender reset
- Internet connected but not working
- Lost configuration CD
- WiFi connectivity issues
- Netgear genie smart setup page continues to appear even after Netgear extender setup
- Forgot Netgear extender default password
- Extender’s LED lights are not stable
- Can’t login to Netgear EX6130 extender
- EX6130 drops internet connectivity
- Unable to update Netgear firmware
- Can’t access mywifiext.net after update on EX6130
- MAC address filtering errors
- Nighthawk EX6130 not working failed update
- WiFi extender not connecting to internet
How to Configure FastLane Technology on Netgear EX6130 Extender
FastLane Technology provides you with maximum WiFi performance. Basically, it offers high-speed WiFi connection with a dedicated band connecting the WiFi router to your EX6130 extender and a second band connecting the WiFi device and extender. Please follow these steps to configure FastLane Technology on your Netgear Extender:
- Connect your client device to the extender.
- After that, open any web browser such as Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer.
- Type mywifiext.net in the address bar and press Enter key.
- Enter the username and password when the login window appears.
- On the Netgear Genie page, click on ‘Do More’ and then on ‘FastLane’ option.
- Now, you will get two options: ‘Device-to-extender in 2.4 GHz only and extender-to-router in 5 GHz only’ and ‘Device-to-extender in 5 GHz only and extender-to-router in 2.4 Ghz’.
- Select any option you like and click on the Save button.
How to Update Firmware on Netgear Extender?
Does your WiFi extender, all of sudden, start behaving weirdly? Is it not providing the required speed even after a successful Netgear WiFi extender setup? If yes, then update firmware on Netgear extender right away.Netgear Extender Firmware is a set of instructions integrated into the hardware device. Talking in a layman’s language, Netgear extender firmware is basically an operating system specifically intended to run on your particular make and model number of extender.So make sure to have the latest firmware version on your extender. Here’s how to upgrade the firmware on your Netgear range extender:z
- First and foremost, turn on your WiFi extender.
- Connect a PC, laptop or mobile device to the extender’s network.
- Once done, open a web browser as per your choice.
- Enter mywifiext.net in the address bar and press enter key.
- Log in to your extender using the username and password.
- Go to the settings menu and click on Firmware Upgrade option.
- Thereafter, click on Check button.
- If there is any new firmware version available, click on yes button for firmware upgrade.
- Now, wait for some time and let the Netgear extender firmware update properly.
EX6130 Extender Technical Specification
|Wifi Tech and Range||Dual band WiFi Range|
|WiFi Permormance||up to 1200 MBPs (300 Mbps + 900 Mbps)|
|WiFi Band||2.4GHz and 5GHz|